Puppetry in and from the Netherlands
- actual addresses and information
NVP-UNIMA: Unima Netherlands
There are 30 residential puppet theatres, about 300 puppet theatre companies, (about 10 % professional). The 300 members (puppeteers, museums, theatres, puppet builders, amateurs and teachers) are autonomous in organizing activities. NVP-UNIMA stimulates all performances given by amateurs and professionals in schools, shopping centres, theatres, at birthday parties at home, on the streets, all the workshops, all the research, special projects like our cultural heritage and the use of puppets in education. The work has to be done by volunteers.
Board: From left to right: Koos Wieman, Sigrid de Reus - Secretary, (firstname.lastname@example.org) Ron Holst - Treasurer, editor monthly newsletter and webmaster; Frouke van Zomeren; Alexander Bauwens - President; Koos Wieman and Marlieke Schoorl.
The four Dutch councillors for the period 2016 - 2020 are Otto van der Mieden, Martine van Ditzhuyzen, Ron Holst and Frans Hakkemars,. UNIMA@poppenspelers.nl Darja de Caluwe is supplementary UNIMA councillor and vice-president of the Women Commission.
The policy plan of NVP-UNIMA 2015 emphasizes Communication by website, newsletter and social media; Publications by Magazine and Library; International contacts, PR and sourcing for active members and financial support, Networking, Education and the Structure of the organization. In 2015 UNIMA Netherlands celebrated her 60th birthday. We published an agenda with information about Dutch Puppetry and organized an international festival EU-regio in Heerlen with our neighboring UNIMA centers from Germany and Belgium -The Wim Meilink Award for Puppetry has been revived and awarded to the www.Amstelveenspoppentheater.nl
The UNIMA Netherlands digital:
- website: www.nvp-unima.nl;
- a monthly newsletter: http://www.nvp-unima.nl/index.php?org1=Nieuws
- a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NVP.UNIMA NVP-UNIMA
- and a Twitter account @NVP_UNIMA: https://twitter.com/NVP_UNIMA
Magazine: ?The World of Puppetry? (WP), appears 4 times a year in Dutch and you can read or download the issues on line. Editor email@example.com
Libraries and museums
- We have an extensive library of more than 1,500 books in Haarlem, Brouwersvaart 70, 2013 RB, tel. 023 5317713. The catalogue has been digitalised and can be downloaded at our website.
- In Vorchten is the Poppenspe(e)lmuseum/Puppetry Museum with a large collection of historical International and Dutch puppets, marionettes and Wayang figures. See: www.poppenspelmuseum.nl and www.poppenspelmuseumbibliotheek.nl. The book collection of the museum contains more than eight thousand editions, in many different languages and covering a wide variety of subjects connected with puppets, puppetry, shadow and object theatre. See: http://www.poppenspelmuseumbibliotheek.nl/Search-Form.aspx
- In Amsterdam there is the smallest puppetry museum in the world: Het Jan Klaassen Museum http://www.janklaassenmuseum.nl/
- There are also puppet collections in the libraries of several Dutch Universities and cultural heritage museums. For addresses see our website.
- At the www.theaterencyclopedie.nl you can find information about theatre personalities in the Netherlands, inclusive puppeteers.
Education and support
- Talented puppeteers and graduates from art- or theatre-schools can get support in creating a new production at ?Feikes Huis? www.Feikeshuis.nl. Eliane Attinger , is artistic leader.
- Wim Kerkhove organizes activities to stimulate the traditional Dutch puppetry of Jan Klaassen, the nephew of Polichinelle, Kasperl, Punch, Petroucka and all the others.
- Puppeteers can learn how to play at the Jan Klaassen Academie, (www.JanKlaassenacademie.nl). These puppeteers will perform Jan Klaassen shows at Sunday summer afternoons at Dam square Amsterdam.
- One of the goals in the policy plan is that puppeteers learn from puppeteers, Max Verstappen, Elly Bakker, Ina Geisler, Jochen Lange, Wim Kerkhove, Koos Wieman, Neville Tranter and Duda Paiva are puppeteers who do so. Quarterly we have special Networking and education days and yearly a Seminaar with puppeteer Duda Paiva 13 - 17th of June 2016.
- Since 2015 In The Hague you can educate yourself in puppet and objecttheatre www.haagstheaterhuis.nl.
- The International Micro Festival organizes a masterclass about the economy of the movement and the material by Damiet van Dalsum 30 aug - 2 sept. 2016
Dutch professional theatre ?Fonds Podiumkunsten Performing Art fund NL? gives information about professional theatre in the Netherlands, including information about Dutch professional puppetry. www.fondspodiumkunsten.nl.
The centre for international cooperation is www.dutchculture.nl Assitej Netherlands, ASSITEJ the international organisation for professional youth theatre , www.assitej-international.org includes professional puppetry .
Some impresario?s for puppettheatre are: www.jeugdtheatergroepen.nl ; www.theaterbureaufrijns.nl ; www.stipproducties.nl ; www.dereustotaal.nl ; www.sttprodukties.nl ; and www.steenimpresariaat.nl
Further informationMore information about the NVP-UNIMA can be obtained from our General Secretary, Sigrid de Reus, firstname.lastname@example.org, or one of the four councillors UNIMA@poppenspelers.nl
Festivals in the Netherlands
There are 4 international Puppetry Festivals in the Netherlands
- Amsterdam, annual Poparts Festival, 7th version 14 – 24 April 2016: www.popartsfestival.nl,
- Meppel, bi-annual, 5 – 9 October 2016 Puppet International: www.puppetinternational.nl
- Harderwijk, bi-annual paper theater , 6th 13 - 15 May 2015, next in 2017 around May www.vischmarktpapierentheater.nl
- Dordrecht, Het Internationaal Micro Festival vindt plaats op 2 - 4 september 2016 www.poppentheaterdamiet.nl .
There are 2 regional puppetry festivals
- Amersfoort, 3 - 4,annual Sept 2016: www.poppeninhetpark.nl
- in Roermond, annual, storytelling and puppetry: www.vertelfestivalroermond.nl
Dutch puppetry! Living and strong as always!
Last update March 2016